You may be old enough to remember the old Billy Crystal character on Saturday Night Live whose catchphrase was, “You look mah-vel-ous, dahling.” That’s the way we view our cosmetic dentistry services at Prosthodontics of New York. They give our patients marvelous smiles!
Cosmetic dentistry differs from our prosthodontic applications such as dental implants, bridges, and the placement of other dental prostheses. Cosmetic dentistry is all about improving the appearance of an already healthy smile. People who come to us for our cosmetic services don’t have issues such as gum disease or decay; they simply aren’t happy with the appearance of their smile. They may have uneven teeth, chipped or cracked teeth, badly stained teeth, or wish to change the shape of a tooth or teeth.
What cosmetic dentistry services do you offer?
Although it is not technically a specialty of dentistry, cosmetic dentistry refers to any dental work that improves the appearance, but not necessarily the function, of a person’s teeth. At Prosthodontics of New York, we use cosmetic dentistry to improve patients’ tooth shape, whiteness, position, alignment, and overall appearance.
These are some of the more common cosmetic procedures we provide:
- Bonding— We use tooth-colored dental resin to close gaps, cover badly stained teeth, or cover chips and cracks in teeth.
- Inlays and Onlays — We also use tooth-colored resin to replace old silver amalgam fillings. These composite fillings are invisible on the teeth.
- Contouring and reshaping— We subtly change the shape of a tooth or teeth by removing small amounts of the tooth enamel. This painless procedure makes minor adjustments in the appearance of a tooth.
- Veneers— Ultra-thin porcelain shells are placed over the front sides of the teeth. Veneers can change the color or shape of the teeth. They can correct unevenly spaced, crooked, chipped, oddly shaped, or badly discolored teeth.
- Whitening— We offer both in-office whitening treatments and at-home whitening kits. These kits that we provide you with include custom-made trays and professional whitening gel to use at home.
Why would I be interested in cosmetic dentistry?
If your teeth are healthy enough that they don’t require any particular treatment such as a root canal, filling, or treatment for gum disease, but you’re simply not satisfied with their appearance, your could benefit from a cosmetic procedure such as the application of porcelain veneers. It can give you a perfect smile you’ve been wanting.
Interested in having a “mah-vel-ous” smile? Call us at Prosthodontics of New York, (212) 758-9690 to set up a consultation and we’ll tell you which procedures will fit your needs.